The Artifact Conference and associated vendors, sponsors, and presenters are committed to building and maintaining a creative, inspiring and inclusive environment.
We work to provide a harassment-free conference experience for everyone regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, operating system or text editor of choice.
To that end, we urge all of our participants—attendees, presenters, volunteers, staff, sponsors and vendor representatives—to abide by the following Code of Conduct throughout the Conference, including all conference-related social events and social media posts. Anyone in violation of this code is subject to a warning, temporary expulsion, or permanent expulsion from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the organizers.
We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Alcohol consumption and other forms of impairment will not be accepted as excuses for harassment behaviors, either.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Insults or offensive language related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neurotype, physical appearance, body, medical condition, age, race, ethnicity, nationality, citizenship status, language, or religion;
- Using overtly sexual language, gestures, costumes, and imagery;
- Non-consensual physical contact;
- Verbal threats or intimidation;
- Menacing physical behaviors, including stalking, following, and isolation;
- Incitement of violence toward any individual or their belongings;
- Posting private discussions or information without consent;
- Sustained disruption of discussions or presentations; and
- Repetition of any behavior after being asked to stop.
Please report any harassment directly to the conference organizers or to conference staff—identified by bright lanyards and badges—immediately. Our staff and volunteers have received training in handling incidents with discretion.
Incidents can also be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide an additional incident reporting channel on site in order to expedite our response time.
This is a living document, subject to revision on a regular basis. It is worth checking for changes in the few weeks leading up to Artifact.
Venue Code of Conduct
Artifact participants are subject to any conference venue's Code of Conduct in addition to our own, so take a moment to review the Alamo Drafthouse Code of Conduct.
It is worth noting that in 2017, the Alamo publicly acknowledged that it had not shown due diligence in handling sexual harassment on its premises. In the last two years, they have taken measures to correct their course, which you can read about in "Building a safer, more inclusive and better Alamo Drafthouse". We are satisfied with their current standards which are among the most progressive of any conference venue in Austin. As always we encourage our attendees to report their concerns to conference staff via email (email@example.com) or on site—all staff wear pink badges and should be easy to find.